Saturday, February 25, 2012

Food to Freeze

Friday Foodie, how could I forget you??

I had a root canal done on Thursday which  still hurts and I am on antibiotics/pain meds for so I've stuck with mostly soft stuff.  I've always made big batches of things where leftovers could be frozen. I'm trying to cut down on our grocery bill some more and this helps.

First up, vegan perogies! They are stuffed with spinach, potato and nutritional yeast. A few of them have faux bacon bits.  And yes, I like them with mustard (or sour cream, "sausage" and onions). Recipe here! These are surprisingly easy and I had plenty leftover. When you freeze them, use parchment paper or else they really stick together. Also, I fry mine after the initial boiling.

 For Fat Tuesday I made savory crepes. I use this crepe recipe and it's wonderful. The stuffing mixture is broccoli, onion, shaved zucchini, mushrooms...all fried up together (I boiled the broccoli first to make it super soft) and then topped with this cheeze sauce. 

 Another night I made eggplant "meat"balls. They are really good!! I froze the leftovers. I had it with spaghetti, tomato sauce and some Tofurkey sausage. I had some leftover cheeze sauce and broccoli and made some garlic toast. 

I love pancakes on the weekend. I usually use this recipe and then add whatever. This time I added unsweetened coconut and blueberries then topped with banana, syrup and some more coconut.

Leftover fried rice from Trader Joes with homemade teriyaki tofu. I press the tofu, cut it into cubes, soak it in teriyaki sauce for at least 30min, roll it in bread crumbs and bake it. Yum!

Sausage Puffs from the cookbook Vegan Junk Food. Basically a mixture of soy sausage, onion, spices, vegan mayo and breadcrumbs baked into puff pastry.  Yep, junk food... but delicious! They remind me of sausage rolls which I used to eat back in Canada.

After my root canal, I had leftover tomato soup but then last night made this potato cauliflower soup from 30 Minutes Vegan Cookbook which is under $5 on the Nook! It takes some time but is easy and super flavourful! The recipes in this book are quick and inexpensive but also healthy.  This is basically onion, spices, cauliflower, potato and veggie broth all simmered together until soft and then you blend it.

I'm currently eating these. They are from the same Nook book and are called "mashed banana fritters". Super easy! It's just bananas mashed with flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt... you don't even need to add sugar! Then you drop spoonfuls onto a frying pan, press them down and flip when ready. They taste like banana pancakes only much  more moist as it is mainly banana and very little flour.  :)

And yes, I realize there are a lot of grain carbs here! I do eat a lot of fruits/veggies during the day though. Maybe I'll do another "what I ate today" post soon. I am feeling like I could cut back more on grains/processed foods. I do want to incorporate more raw meals!

1 comments:

  1. mmm those crepes and pancakes look delish :)

    really liking your new header too! (sorry if it's not that new! haha)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment I receive so if you're leaving one right now, thank you!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...