Tuesday, March 26, 2013

ELF Jumbo Lip Gloss Sticks Review

My morning started out with a phone call from my husband that he had been in a wreck. He wasn't hurt (no one was, thankfully) but our car was totaled! He swerved to avoid hitting a SUV on the freeway that had lost control and was half in the fast lane and half off the road but thinks he still clipped it. Then he was hit by 3 or 4 oncoming cars! So scary. We went to the ER later just to make sure he was okay (better safe than sorry) and x-rays confirmed that he only had a bruised chest, which he knew. So he'll be sore for a few days. He's feeling lucky to even be alive though! If his car had spun 180 degrees the other way... he would have have been so lucky. Ugh. I don't even want to think about that!


So today was spent dealing with this. We have a rental car for the next few days until insurance decides what they're giving us. We still owe money on this car (it was the first car we actually bought ourselves!) so I'm a bit worried that it isn't currently worth any more than we owe on it. But I'm trying to stay positive and hope that it all works out and we can replace it with someone we love. I am sad to lose this car though! It was a bit sentimental. 

But besides that craziness, I did promise a review today so here it is! From car crashes to makeup reviews. haha


I recently spotted these in Target and remembered reading good reviews so I decided to try them. They are the ELF Jumbo Lip Gloss Sticks (vegan). I got "Pink Umbrellas" and "Movie Star".


Here are the ingredients:
Polyisobutene, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Ethylexyl Palmitate, Ceresin, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Disostearyl Malate, Microcrystalline Wax (cera microcristallina), Polyethylene, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Glycine Max (Soybean) Oil, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Tocopherol, Propylparaben, Methylparaben. 

May Contain: Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Red No.27 Lake (CU 45410), Red No.7 Lake (CI 15850), Yellow No.5 Lake (CI 19140), Blue No.1 Lake (CI 42090), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Mica (CI 77019)

First up is "Pink Umbrellas".  These really do look like a jumbo crayon. The part you use almost looks plastic, haha. It's very smooth and pretty durable. I don't think it would get smashed too easily.  "Pink Umbrellas" smells pretty strongly of peppermint to me. It has no flavour but you can smell the peppermint for a while after applying this.


"Pink Umbrellas" is a pretty light pink shade that will vary depending on the natural pigment of your lips.  I've found myself reaching for this a lot because it goes with pretty much anything. I don't need a mirror to apply it but the colour payoff is nice! 

Wearing "Pink Umbrellas". 

 Next we have "Movie Star".  This one doesn't smell too great, unfortunately. It reminds me of a hospital... like rubber gloves or something.  Thankfully it's not too strong and I like the product enough to ignore it.


"Movie Star" is a very nice deep red. It has great colour payoff! I was impressed. 

Wearing "Movie Star".

More swatches:

outdoor shade

outdoor sun

smudged

Overall, I'm very happy with these. I don't like most lip glosses because I'm not a fan of that wet, shiny, sticky look or feel.  These do have the word "gloss" in the name but they wear more like a tinted balm. The colours really do show up, at least in the two shades I got. They aren't super long wearing but at least they are easy to apply. I love how these feel on my lips, almost like a stain with just a bit of balm/chapstick on top. If your lips are chapped when you apply this, they won't apply very evenly so keep that in mind. I don't find them drying you just have to have soft lips to start with or the pigment will stick to the dry bits.

Think you'll give these a try? I usually avoid the elf Essential line but these were a nice surprise. You can read more views on Makeupalley.


2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh! I'm so glad your husband is okay! That is so scary.

    Segue into makeup...I have one of these and I love it! I am definitely going to pick up Pink Umbrella & Movie Star now. I actually went to get it and smell it to see if it smelled like peppermint or hospitals, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahah And did it smell? A lot of the reviews mentioned bad smells so I was prepared. It didn't put me off of them though!

      Delete

I appreciate every comment I receive so if you're leaving one right now, thank you!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...