Tuesday, February 10, 2015

DIY: Moisturizing Exfoliant Shower Bars

If you know me, you know I try to keep things more "natural" when it comes to beauty and what I eat. We are exposed to SO many toxins in our daily life that I feel it's my duty to at least try to limit the amount. So when it comes to skin care, I've been going more and more natural. It's a work in progress as I am constantly learning new things but I've definitely become more serious about it lately (and am now making more of an effort with my makeup as well).  There are TONS of great brands out there but sometimes you just can't beat a DIY project!


These shower bars are super moisturizing and also do a fantastic job of exfoliating your skin. Plus they smell amaze-balls!  I was inspired by THIS tutorial (it's very similar to what I did).

save image

Moisturizing Exfoliate Shower Bars

Ingredients:
1.5 oz shea butter
1.5 oz cocoa butter
10 drops essential oil (I used sweet orange)
1/2 cup of  any of the following: coffee grounds, oatmeal, ground up rice, ground up almonds etc Basically what you want to exfoliate with! I used coffee, oats and almonds.
Mold (I used cupcake molds)

Directions:
Begin by measuring out your shea butter and cocoa butter into a pot (I make a double broiler by balancing one pot on top of another and filling the bottom one partly with water then bringing it to a boil) to melt it. 
Once melted, add your essential oils. 
Add your coffee grounds, oats and almonds (or whatever you're using). The mixture will thicken once it cools but decide now if you want to add more of anything.
Pour the mixture into a glass container and stick it in the fridge or freezer until it thickens up some but it's not totally solid. Mix it up so that your coffee grounds and such aren't all sunk to the bottom.
Now spoon the mixture into your molds. A mold that is pliable will make it easier to remove the shower bars later!
Stick your molds into your fridge or freezer until they are solid. I keep my extra ones stored in the freezer and put one in the shower.

Mixture should be thick but still runny when you first  pour it into the molds.

To use:
Rub all over damp/wet skin to remove dead skin, help blood circulation and moisturize! I recommend using the shower bar before shaving for a smoother shave experience. 

Note
Coffee grounds can be rough on your drain so if you use them just keep that in mind. They are great for combating cellulite though. ;)
The mix I used smells amazing!! Like chocolate coffee...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every comment I receive so if you're leaving one right now, thank you!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...