Wednesday, August 12, 2015

My Postpartum Must Haves

Those first few weeks after your new baby arrives are kiiiiind of crazy!  You're filled with SO much love but you're also tired and sore.  Bed rest is very important and I did my best to spend the first week in bed or on the couch (no taking the dog out, cooking etc) and then the next week I did a bit more but still took it very easy.  You have an open wound in your body (where the placenta once was) so give it time to heal!  That Target trip can wait.  ;)

I was glad I prepared for this time and wanted to share some of my must haves with any of you potentially pregnant ladies! Some of these would make great gifts for pregnant mamas too.

Please note that some of this is aimed towards breastfeeding simply because that is what I am doing.


  1. Boppy pillow - I don't use this for nursing all that much although at times it was handy in the first few weeks when my arms were really tired! I'd underestimated how tiring it is to hold a baby all day haha But this was SO nice to sit on that first week. Sitting was rough, on the couch or in bed, but this provided great cushion without any added pressure.
  2. Peri bottle + witch hazel - You'll want to use this every time you go potty until you're all healed up. I won't go into too much detail but it REALLY does make it feel a lot better. Witch hazel will help with the healing process. 
  3. Frozen pads - Another life saver! Make these ahead of time! I thought maybe they'd feel kinda gross or get soggy (haha) but they don't. They feel really nice and as they unfreeze they simply dry out. I can't be the only one who wondered if they got soggy...
  4. Robe - Pretty much what I lived in that first week. It's nice to have another layer especially if you have company over but you want easy boob access and nothing restricting.  
  5. Nursing cami - It's not recommended to wear a wire bra those first few weeks because it could affect your milk supply so these are great! It's my go to for sleeping these days. 
  6. Snacks, frozen meals and meal replacement powder - You are going to be SO HUNGRY. I really underestimated just how hungry breastfeeding makes you. You still need to be eating as much as you were during your third trimester but suddenly you have a baby in your arms so making food is a lot more challenging. Having healthy, easy things on hand is so helpful. That meal replacement is SUPER healthy and could not be easier. I also liked having some bars on hand (Amrita is a favourite). If you froze meals a head of time, good job! I did but then ended up eating them by the time baby came at 42 weeks hahah
  7. Tablet - I now prefer my phone or MacAir but in the beginning I used my iPad mini a lot. You just want something that is lightweight and easy to move around because you get stuck in the same position when baby nurses or falls asleep on you. Not saying you should be on an electronic device all the time but obviously now and then it is much welcomed. 
  8. Mesh underwear - My midwife provided these and while they are the ugliest things I've ever seen they were incredibly comfortable! Definitely something I recommend and I know hospitals provide them as well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every comment I receive so if you're leaving one right now, thank you!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...