Remember when Donkey in the animated movie “Shrek” says: “You know what ELSE everybody likes? Parfaits! Have you ever met a person, you say, let's get some parfait, they say, Hell no, I don't like no parfait. Parfaits are delicious!” This is how I feel about smoothies. In addition to being just plain delicious, smoothies are pretty much the best-tasting and most nutritious on-the-go meal known to man.
Here are the main reasons why smoothies are so amazing for your health.
- Are chock full of vitamins, enzymes, and minerals
- Are easier for your body to digest, which means optimal nutrient assimilation (they get where they need to go in your body quickly)
- Stabilize blood sugar (especially smoothies with a healthy fat in them, as fat is key for blood sugar stabilization)
- Are a fabulous way to consume a variety of different fruits or vegetables at one time
- Are terrific for cleansing the body of toxicity
- Are an easy way to add more fiber to your diet for optimal bowel function
In addition, blending your food provides even more benefits.
- The health of your body depends on your digestion. When you blend your foods, you are supporting the digestion process by doing much of the work. Your body does not have to work so hard to break down the nutrients.
- Did you know that 80% of your energy is spent digesting and assimilating your nutrients? Less work for your body means more energy for you.
- Instead of having to prepare and eat cup after cup of healthy greens or fruits, they are packed into one nutrient-dense smoothie.
- Smoothies can also be a good way to get picky kids to “eat” their fruit and veggies without even knowing it.
- By adding greens such as spinach, kale, collards, etc. to your smoothie, you can take all these benefits to the next level. Need to try it yourself to believe me? Here is a great recipe to get you started.
Here’s a great recipe from my Fall Detox Program:
Make this and other smoothies in advance, drink them anytime of day or take them on the-go.