Saturday, January 14, 2012

Traveling Vegan Food

Being away from home for the past week and a half was an interesting experience for me when it came to food because it was my first trip since becoming vegan. I brought some groceries, bought some and then ate out a bit. I only have pictures from our trip to WA not our trip to Mission Beach, CA but overall I feel like I ate fairly healthy while still eating a lot of delicious stuff and not feeling deprived.  Since we were eating out more than normal, I felt a bit less in control of the ingredients I was consuming but I think I did a decent job. If I did accidentally consume any animal products, I at least know it was a minuscule amount! And that's really not the end of the world.

So for our trip to WA we had 22 hours of driving each way. My husband ate out a few times on the drive there but I only ate out once (veggie burger at Denny's).  I had brought some food (pita, hummus, Larabars, apple etc) so I ate that stuff. Oh I also "ate out" breakfast at our hotel where it was included in the fee. I had oatmeal.

I brought a big jug of green juice (not fresh) from home and enjoyed that in my reusable cup

The chocolate coconut butter came in my Eco Emi box. I ate some with the apple and then used the rest in oatmeal (twice). It was so yummy!

Got veggie sushi from Fred Meyer's and enjoyed some more green juice when we arrived in WA at my inlaws' place

I had brought some leftover "nacho cheese" sauce (just water, flour, spices and nutritional yeast) from home so I enjoyed that with chips and salsa.

I'd been wanting to try this so when I saw it on sale at Fred Meyer's (I was VERY impressed by their natural foods selection; loved it) I had to get it. So yum!

I also made my husband and I smoothies with it. Another day we had PB banana smoothies.

OJ and oatmeal with fruit. I hate a lot of plain instant oatmeal with fruit in WA. In Mission Beach I had a lot of muesli with fruit. I brought a little baggie of chia seeds and ground flaxseed from home and always added that.

From Alberstons, I brought along a package of falafel where you just add water to it, let it sit for 10min, form into balls and cook. So easy...and delicious! I had a yummy pita sandwich with it and then ate the rest on our drive home (with pita and hummus)

Another typical breakfast. Oatmeal with chia, ground flaxseed, banana and chocolate coco butter.

On our last night, we stopped at the Rogue Brewery in Portland with  my brother in law and his wife. Highly recommend! My husband and I shared a hummus plate (yes, I've been having hummus everyday lately) and then I had a hazelnut beer and a quinoa salad (gave the bread to my husband).

I've always wanted to go to VooDoo Doughnuts and we finally were able to! At 4am, of all times, haha. It was before our long drive home. Both my husband and I chose two vegan donuts each. I got the oreo pb one and a maple one. I think it had been years since I'd had a donut! They are generally a bit too sweet for me.  The toppings on the oreo pb made eating the entire thing a bit much for me but overall... BEST DONUTS EVER. Sooo good. The inside was just perfection.
Random snack my husband and I had on our way home. I'm not sure I liked the beet chips haha

 So, don't be afraid to stick with a plant based diet while traveling! It may be a bit inconvenient but it was very doable.  When I was in Mission Beach with my family, we cooked a lot. Like, our first dinner was a spaghetti and while they had chicken I made vegan sausage (which my husband also had; proud of him!). When they all ate at a crepe place in a food court, I got a Jamba Juice smoothie. I think the key is to try and be included in the social aspect of it, like sticking with the group as much as you can but finding what you can eat.


2 comments:

  1. I find it pretty hard to travel being vegan! Looks like you did really well though :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie,
    My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for blogs about Mission Beach to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Jane

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment I receive so if you're leaving one right now, thank you!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...