Friday, February 17, 2012

Simple Dinners

Hmm, I did not take very many food pictures this past week!  We didn't eat out at all.  Dinners were mostly vegetable based with grains. For breakfast I've been having pb toast or oatmeal. Snacks have been mainly fruit or green smoothies. Lunches have bit open face sandwiches or leftovers.  Very simple eating, it has felt like. I think it's partly because my broken tooth hasn't been fixed yet so I've been making things that are easy for me to chew on one side of my mouth, haha.

Homemade tomato soup and open face sandwich. This soup is soo good!  It makes a lot and the leftovers are delicious (you can also freeze it).

For Valentine's Day I made some potato skins that were sooo good and avocado pasta. Avocado pasta is a new favourite of mine! So glad I finally made it. The healthier the pasta, the healthier the dish will be.  And yes, that is wine in a cup because we broke all of our wine glasses!

For dessert on Valentine's Day I made cake in a mug. Um, easiest cake ever! I was skeptical but it worked and tasted great. My husband doesn't like microwaves...he thinks they give food, including this, a weird taste but I didn't notice. It is a very spongy cake since it is cooked in a microwave.  I added some soy cherry ice cream by Trader Joes (so good!) on top. I'll definitely make this again!

Just Greek salad, hummus and falafel all home made. It was my first time making falafel from scratch. The flavour wasn't right but they were delicious so I'd make them again... but if I want falafel I will try another recipe.  I froze the extra patties so they will be great for easy lunch/dinners!

My vegetarian husband eats a lot of vegan dinners now! I actually ran out of dairy cheese last week and he  hasn't even complained! He just treats himself to a cheese pizza or eats it at restaurants now and then.  He doesn't drink cows milk and even stopped have dairy yogurt (he likes soy/almond just fine). He does sometimes eat things, like chocolate, that contains milk.  But I'm so proud of him! I don't care at all if he doesn't want to be vegan but for his health, I wanted him to cut back on dairy/meat and he has, all on his own (well, with my support but I mean I didn't push him into it).  Just thought I'd add that!  He has been vegetarian for almost 3 weeks now.

He still craves meat (I never have since giving it up 4.5 months ago) so I've been doing more faux meats... the Trader Joes chickenless orange chicken is REALLY yummy, fyi!  I bought their chicken pieces/strips and tried them last night but I found them too chewy, not something I ever liked about chicken.  I don't mind doing fake meats occasionally but they are pretty processed and I don't miss meat so it's not something I'd do regularly. I really like the soy cream cheeses, they taste even better, I think, so that's what I prefer to treat myself to. Daiya is yummy but I prefer to buy it just now and then vs always having it in the house. We still have two bags from Superbowl weekend (I used it in the dips I made/brought to a party).

Tonight I'm making deep dish white pizza (with this sauce) with spinach, a little bit of white Daiya, mushrooms and some of that faux chicken (on one of the two pizzas).  :)  I like to do an indulgent dinner on Fridays... but still healthier than when I used to eat frozen pizza!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate every comment I receive so if you're leaving one right now, thank you!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...