Saturday, March 10, 2012

Indulge

Mmmm...

Trader Joes sells this and it is amazing. Four kinds of hummus! Hummus is my favourite food...

Trader Joes orange "chickenless".  My husband insisted on stocking up on this (read as: bought 6 bags!) in case they ran out again. haha It is really delicious, I have to admit. We had it twice in the past week, how you see it here and then another time where I fried the rice with peas and carrots. Not THE healthiest thing but a damn good indulgence.

Remember when I told you about the carrot shake I had at Lotus Cafe? and how I wanted to create it at home? Well, mission accomplished.   
Two servings:
7 carrots juiced
 1 cup soy (or regular) vanilla ice cream (less if you'd like it just won't be as thick)
 1/4 cup unsweetened soy milk (add a bit at a time just to get the consistency you want) 
 couple dashes of cinnamon and nutmeg to taste

1 serving has approximately 230 calories, 2.3g fiber, 6g protein, 21g sugar, 27g carbs and 9g fat depending on the brands you use. It also has various vitamins and calcium from the carrots and soy milk. 

I had some leftover Tofurkey sausage mixture from when I made some sausage rolls so I used that plus spinach and some ricotta tofu to stuff these then topped with homemade sauce and Daiya. Delicious! The sausage mixture is basically bread crumbs, cream cheese and Tofurkey sundried tomato sausage.  Okay, not the healthiest thing...again.

A quick pre-gym snack one day was two almonds stuffed into a date. Nom.

I made some veggie pizza with a Bisquick crust and sweet potato chips

I promise I eat whole healthy meals too! One night we did a salad bar. The dressing is a mixture of tofu, dill, water, lemon juice and garlic.

 Got the idea to combine the tofu dill dressing with some mashed chickpeas for wraps! here I had it with cucumber, spinach and hummus on flatbread.  Another time I had it in a tortilla shell. Tasty and so easy!

I don't do dessert regularly but this fruit bowl one night was great!

Speaking of dessert...made brownies last night when my husband requested some "junk food". These were definitely not healthy brownies! They taste good but the consistency is a bit off so I'll try a different (and healthier) recipe next time. I topped it with unsweetened shredded coconut.

 When I'm craving something sweet and chocolatey, I prefer almond date balls.  I don't feel sick after like I did when I had brownies! 
All you do is blend (or use a food processor if you have one...which of tomorrow I may!) pitted dates and almonds together. Then you can add what you like. Today I did brown rice cereal, cocoa powder and a little bit of brown rice syrup to make it sure it was still sticky enough after adding the cereal.  Just roll it into balls or use was paper to create bars (like LaraBars). It's still high in sugar but at least it is more natural.

1 comments:

I appreciate every comment I receive so if you're leaving one right now, thank you!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...