Friday, November 30, 2012

Favourite Health Apps


Apparently I only took two food pictures this week. haha It's because I included Sat-Mon in last week's Friday Foodie post. 

These are pretty perfect banana muffins! I swapped the canola oil for coconut and left out the nuts and raisins. The nuts would be really good though. I used Bob's Red Mills Gluten Free Flour and this recipe.

I made this cauliflower soup in the crockpot. It's just cauliflower, veg broth, carrots, celery, onion, dill, thyme, salt, pepper and garlic. 

To keep this post from being silly short, I thought I'd share with you guys some of my favourite health/food/exercise apps for the iPhone (and iPad).

Animal-Free: Free. With this app you can scan barcodes or search for products and ingredients to see which are animal free. It doesn't always find everything but it's still pretty handy when you don't want to do a Google search.  It does have a very extensive list of animal ingredients so I find if you are searching my ingredient it is really great. It's products that it doesn't always find.

GreenVegan: 99cents. This app is perfect for finding vegan beer, wine and liquor. It has a long easy to read list and is divided into those three categories. Or of course you can search by name.

VeganXpress: $1.99. This super handy app has categories of popular restaurant menus, beer, food (common snacks, candy etc), liquor and wine that shows just the vegan options. It's really great if you are one to buy more common items like Skittles or go to restaurants like Olive Garden.  You don't really need both this and GreenVegan. I prefer the layout of GreenVegan for the alcohol because it shows the names of each where as with VeganXpress you have to click on the letter it starts with to see the list. Obviously not a big difference though!

GoodGuide: Free. My brother in law recommended this one to me. I do like the concept, but it's hit or miss whether or not it finds the product you want. Basically, you can scan a barcode or search for a product and it will tell you it's health, environment and society rating. I like this app because it actually shows you how eco friendly something where as most food apps focus more on health.

Yoga: Free. Okay, I always say I'm going to do yoga regularly and then don't but this app does make it pretty easy to stick to it. You can create your own programs or search for poses seperately. They are categorized by beginner, itnermediate, advanced and guru. To create your own program you can search through their premade routines, generate a personal trainer or choose from a pose base. The routines have a description and picture making them easy to follow. You can also search by level or goal (energy, flexibility etc). You can upgrade to Premium for more routines. The cost is $7.99 a month, $28.99 for 6 months or $47.99 for a year. That'll give you more routines and the option to add your own poses.

CharityMiles: Free.  Sign up and you can select a charity to support. Then you choose walk, run or bike and simply start the program during this activity. It will record the distance. I really like using this on long walks. You can raise money and awareness for the various charities. You do need a Facebook to use this app. Bikers earn 10cents per mile and walkers/runners earn 25cents per mile up to a million dollars!
RunKeeper: Free. This is what I use for running. It's simple to use. The screen will stay on during the run (unless you turn it off obviously) so you can access it quickly. You can sync it with your music. It will track your distance, time, average pace etc. I wear headphones during my runs now and this will update you to tell your current time/distance/pace every so often which I like. You can also find programs in this app, say for marathon training and it will make a schedule for you.

Seconds: Free. This is a very handy timer for workouts.  You can create a timer for HIIT, circuit training, rounds etc.  You can enter the number of sets, music, title (warmup, cool down etc), duration and choose an intensity level. There are also workouts you can use.  You can upgrade to Seconds Pro for $4.99.

1 comments:

  1. Oooh those muffins do look perfect! Thanks for the list of apps! Going to download Yoga and ANimal Free now! Have veganxpress and I like it!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate every comment I receive so if you're leaving one right now, thank you!! <3

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...